Car ‘show me, tell me’ vehicle safety questions
During your test the examiner will ask you one ‘tell me’ question at the start of your test, before you start driving and one ‘show me’ question while you’re driving.
1. Tell me how you’d check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2. Tell me where you’d find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
3. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. N.B. Some restraints might not be adjustable.
4. Tell me how you’d check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
5. Tell me how you’d check that the headlights and tail lights are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
6. Tell me how you’d know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
7. Tell me how you’d check the direction indicators are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
8. Tell me how you’d check the brake lights are working on this car.
9. Tell me how you’d check the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
10. Tell me how you’d switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you’d use it/them. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
11. Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you’d know the main beam is on.
Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient oil.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Note: Failure on one or both of the show me tell me questions will result in one minor fault.